Thursday, January 29, 2009

Things in no particular order: Week #1 Thing #1

If this blog didn't have a name already, I might have named it Working Ahead, Skipping Around -- 23 Things in no particular order. 
I promise after this I will be more linear in my approach to this project.

So what do I think about this program? I AM SO EXCITED! I can't wait to see what my colleagues put together and I can't wait to see how things change in classrooms as people get their feet wet. 

Thinking about the lifelong learning piece is very intriguing as well. Have we talked as a school about how we set about helping our students achieve this ESLR? It is a bit of a paradox. Like parenting, the end goal is putting yourself out of business. Equipping students in a classroom to learn outside a classroom. Teaching students not to need a teacher. I feel as though when we wrote that ESLR we were speaking about an ambition to have such dynamic learning happening in the school that our students would become something like learning addicts who would be motivated to go out and get some more learnin', with or without us, but have we really looked at our methods for modeling lifelong learning outside the classroom from inside the classroom. 

I'd like to get in a small room with a bunch of our teachers with some coffee and carbs and start talking about this. Or you could leave a comment.

1 comments:

sgeiger said...

Shawna - Great post. Many of our students have discovered that they can find lots of learnin' without us. Perhaps our challenge is to guide these lemmings into the ocean without going over the cliffs.