Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Adding an Avatar/Skipping Ahead : Week #2 Thing #3

I know I haven't done the Week 1 exercises yet, but I already have this blog and so I am skipping ahead. This is actually an old blog that I created on Blogger back in 2006 and that has been sitting around gathering cobwebs since then. So now I am dusting it off and getting it ready to use the 23 Things. I also have an old avatar that I created in Yahoo back when I was doing the fantasy baseball gig on Yahoo, so I wanted to reclaim that as well.

I freshened up the avatar a bit, but am always disheartened that in the world of the internet, there are no fat avatars. You can find "plus-size" options in some programs, but the plus apparently only reflects that they are larger than size zero. It would seem that the makers of avatar authoring programs believe that they know that everyone wants to be skinnier online. And on Yahoo! at least the options outside of "plus-size" seem to be supermodel thin. *Sigh*

Connie and I searched for a long time (okay, it was only about 10 minutes) for how to add my avatar exported from Yahoo to my Google controlled blog. It's a little bit like trying to get your old country Catholic grandma to fit in at your mother-in-law's seder. But I think I finally have it figured out. The exported avatar is configured in html so I should just be able to add it here and get it to show up in the blog entry using the html coding function.

Yahoo! Avatars

Connie says that means that it will descend out of sight as I make more entries. That's really okay with me.
...
And now I just figured out how to add it to the side with an "Add HTML/JavaScript" gadget. Ooooh so cool.

1 comments:

sgeiger said...

Shawna I have the same problem, I want to make my avatar look like me (blondish, glasses, etc.) which I gather isn't the done thing. I'm also using an old untended blog for 23 Things. Maybe 9 weeks of posting will energize our posting habits.